As my routers, Netgear WNDR3700 v1 and v2, began to fail, I started to look around for a new router. I didn’t have to have a wireless router, so I started to look at the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite as this router gets recommended all over the internet for a “prosumer”. Until I figured out what to do about wireless I setup the WNDR3700’s as access points around the house. I dove in, and have been pleasantly surprised every step of the way. So much in fact, that most of the old tutorials floating around the web are defunct, as the basic setup can all be done through the GUI Wizard. Pretty easy.

I ordered from Amazon, because its cheap and also 2-day Prime shipping is hard to beat. The box comes with the router, simple instructions, and a power plug. On initial setup go to https://www.ubnt.com/download/ and find the latest firmware, version 1.70 dated 6/29/15 as of this post. I used a laptop to connect directly to the router, update the firmware, and start configuring.

For setup I made eth0 connect to my cable modem. Eth1 (192.168.2.1) connects to my switch, TP-Link TL-SG1016. And eth2 (192.168.3.1) connects directly to another router in access point mode, which will act as a guest network. To go further, on the TP-Link switch, I have the WNDR3700 v1 (192.168.2.2) serving wireless. The WNDR3700 v2 (192.168.3.2) serves wireless from eth2. I will be replacing the WNDR3700’s, as they are still failing, but not sure with what.

I am tempted to go with a Ubiquiti UniFi AP-Pro, but I don’t have a good place to mount one of these yet. They resemble smoke detectors in all the installs I see online. Maybe when it gets a bit cooler I will go up into the attic and run an ethernet cable from the switch to the ceiling. The access points can use POE (Power Over Ethernet) so its just a simple CAT6 run up there. For the Edgerouter Lite, since this router doesn’t have POE built in, the access point comes with a power plug so it keeps the ceiling looking nice and clean.

I went through a few trial and error setups to see how everything worked as I messed around with the configuration. It took me about 4 hours to completely setup the router and change over the older routers to become access points. This included flashing the latest Gargoyle firmwares to both routers as well. I found OpenWRT didn’t always work with the wireless radios, DD-WRT is awful to setup, but Gargoyle always just worked. And yes I know Gargoyle is based on OpenWRT, I really don’t know what the problem was. I still have a router in the garage using DD-WRT, and would not go back. Having a laptop is handy with a long CAT6 cable, but a desktop will work.

I found it useful to keep track of what was going where with IP addresses in a simple Excel spreadsheet. I am slowly digging into the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite and will add some updated guides on some things to do. I just got IPv6 working through Charter Cable’s tunnel for instance. If you have installed a different firmware on your router I wouldn’t hesitate to get the  Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, you will be happy.

How to setup the ERL for Charter IPv6.